Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Detailing Options

There are many detailing options a colorizer can do when working with faded and "dirtied" vintage photos,  I am not a photo restoration expert but would prefer to restore a possible reality behind the photo, rather then merely restoring the photo. My interest is arriving at a satisfying outcome (to me), not maintaining any historic accuracy where historicity is not important.

Depending on the subject, I sometimes add details that are not there or imagine it as hinted in the photo.  I tend to manipulate or edit the vintage photo.  It's fun to do and throws out the window any claim to historic authenticity when such qualities are not really important to the subject  Hence, this colorization work on the ladies of what was labeled the Age of Jazz Vagabonds dated in 1921 added details that probably did not even exist at that time.  I don't now the car, nor the ladies (but have seen them before in another colorized photo in another car and pose) and wantonly added details that made it look more interesting on close inspection. Not perfect though as I am still polishing the detailing aspect.  If you compare this with the original below, you can easily see what I have added.  I could add more, but just got too tired to go the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment